Skip to main content

Visiting Academics

The University of Leeds has an international reputation for excellence in research. As such, we are often asked to host visiting academics from around the world that wish to pursue their professional interests in a dynamic academic environment.

Information for applicants

The Centre welcomes visiting academics from other institutions and can provide a stimulating intellectual environment and office space with computer and library access.

We request that visiting scholars work with an assigned academic mentor from the Centre, so please check our member list for scholars in your research area.

We also request that a visiting scholar makes, at least, one seminar presentation and/or develops a paper for publication.

How to apply

Applicants for Visiting Academic status should be a full-time member of another university and have a clearly defined plan for research that matches research interests within the Centre.

We consider applications in terms of their potential contribution to the Centre and its activities, as well as our ability to support an applicant's area of research.

We request the following from all our applicants:

  • a detailed research plan for the period of your stay that includes your research interests, preferred study areas and related personal publications
  • a list of the expected outcomes of your visit
  • a copy of your CV
  • a written reference from your current head of department, or supervisor if you are a PhD student
  • the date you wish to start, not sooner than six months from the point of application
  • the proposed duration of your visit
  • a contact name and details of any sponsorship you may have
  • proof of identity, for example, a scan of your passport's data page.

Applications can be made any time during the year, but please note that teaching terms are from October to December; February to March; April to May.

If your visit is to take place only during the summer months (July to September), you may be able to find vacant student accommodation. Please contact the University Accommodation Office for further details.

Alternatively, the University staff publication The Reporter and Unipol Student Homes sometimes advertise accommodation for professional staff or visitors. However, you are less likely to find strong intellectual support during this time as many staff are working from home or taking vacations.